Wednesday 7 December 2011

Director Kanwal Sharma returns to Bollywood after 11 years

In the entertainment industry, returning from oblivion is a near-impossibility. Kanwal Sharma is a name that would ring a bell among those moviegoers who whistled for Mithun Chakraborty in Jeete Hain Shaan Se singing 'Julie Julie' for Mandakini and Sanjay Dutt in Namak. The latter had to be completed with a double after Dutt was incarcerated. In the 1980s and 1990s, Kanwal Sharma directed some very successful potboilers including Mar Mitenge, Paap Ki Kamaai and Gunahon Ka Devta. As thick as thieves with some of the top stars of the era, specially Sanjay Dutt, Mithun Chakraborty and Govinda, Kanwal Sharma suddenly dropped out of sight … …Only to suddenly resurface with a small new film and a personal story that can send a chill up anyone's spine about how cruel the film industry can be to those who fall out with fate. Unknown to everyone including his close friends, Kanwal Sharma has been slowly and painfully recovering from a serious spine injury. Says the 'hit' director from the 80s and 90s, "The last film I directed was Heeralal Pannalal in 1999.And then, my world fell apart." In 2000, Kanwal slipped and fell in the bathroom. "I injured my spine very badly. I couldn't stand on my feet. My body couldn't take my own weight, so how could I even think of directing a film? So yes, for 11 years I've been out of circulation." Admirably, there's no bitterness in Kanwal's tone. No rancour or grievance against the industry which completely forgot him, as it tends to forget anyone who is incapacitated. Ask him if his close friends have kept in touch and the calm survivor replies gently, "Well, I've kept in touch with my friends. And that's what matters. One can't blame others for one's misfortunes. But please understand, I wasn't ill. Just unable to do what I knew best. Make films." Kanwal has now completed a new film with newcomers. Says the once-successful director optimistically, "It's a film titled Delhi Eye. And it's got two newcomers Manish Shrivastav and Dimple Patel in the lead. I can't hope to attract attention to a film that doesn't have stars in it." The director during his time worked with the biggest of names including Naseeruddin Shah in Malaamal. For a role of a cop in his new film, Kawal approached all his old friends. Finally, it was the Shyam Benegal favourite Rajit Kapur who stepped into the part. "Rajit Kapoor agreed to play a crucial role of a cop after 80 percent of the film was complete. And Amitji very kindly agreed to release the music. So I can't say I haven't been lucky," says Kanwal Sharma hoping his old friends would get to know that he's back on his feet and behind the camera once Delhi Eye is released. "I can only hope for the best. Destiny has given me a second chance. I never thought I'd walk again, let alone make another film."


Director Kanwal Sharma returns to Bollywood after 11 years video

Related News:-

  • EBC Radio


  • Most listened to South Asian Radio Station in US ... Queen bed, Dresser, Mirror, Chest & Night Stand for only $749!
  • sikhchic.com - Articles Feed


  • by KANWARJIT SINGH KANG December 04, 2011 (0 comment(s)) Sun, 4 Dec 2011 http://www.sikhchic.com/article-detail.php?id=2936&cat=8]]> Daughter of Maharaja Duleep Singh and ...
  • Welcome to Star Mantra


  • With offices in the Unites States and Canada StarMantra Entertainment Group Ltd. is one of North Americas leading entertainment firms focussing on projects in the South Asian ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...